Sunday, January 31, 2016

January 14, 2016

Well, what can I tell you about this week? My health is clearing up really nicely. I was getting bronchitis and I had a horrible, horrible cough, but I think that's gone. My throat doesn't hurt. We've been eating healthy and my stomach problems have gone away. I don't think I'm gonna die.

What can I tell you about White. Really it's called Ingeniero White, and it's a really, really, really small town with a lot of factories... I don't know what they're for... I think oil and gas. Everything looks and feels like Baytown. The rama is super small and the church is tiny. I've always had small chapels, but this is the tiniest. I think the Canada house is bigger. But it is a chapel. I'll take pictures on Sunday and send them  to you. We've been cooking for ourselves. That's been interesting. My compa cooks really really tasty food, but she hasn't quite gotten the My Plate guidelines yet. I explain it everyday and we always end up eating a lot of carbs with not a lot else. Sometimes meat. But we had tacos (on Tuesday. I've learned that I really enjoy doing the acronym days thing.) Today we're going to make molletes. I'm super excited. I've wanted to make them my whole mission and never had support. If you want to send me some basic, fast, My Plate guideline approved recipes, they would be greatly appreciated. Other things about the area- everything is closed, almost all the time. I don't know how people can live like that. On Sunday, we had a bit of a misadventure... there is something really really common here called "lice". I've realized that in the US we are raised to believe lice is a step above death, but here, it's not a big deal, and no one freaks out, and it's super common. Well, we realized we had lice on Sunday. Over a year in Argentina avoiding lice, and I finally got it. Our heads were super itchy, and we were super grossed out, and we decided that we were going to go to the pharmacy and buy some lice combs to get them out. Well, the entire White was closed. The whole day. So then we called the zone leaders that are a town over, to see if they could find us lice combs. Guess what, everything in their town was closed too. And they knew we had lice. Needless to say, it was  a rough day. 

Well, the rama itself is nice. There are a couple, 3 I believe, families, and they're all super sweet. And super excited to have hermanas. Yesterday, an Hermana from the ward went out with us and showed us around. It was nice. It's really nice to work with the members. She told us about her mission, her family, and shared her testimony. And taught with us and gave us references. It was a huge success. Then we met our leader misional and his wife. They're  super sweet. 

I think my favorite part of this area is the zone of missionaries. We get along super well. And everyone gets along with everyone. That's really nice. On Tuesday after the district meeting we swapped stories and laughed. Today we showed up at 9 in the morning to play games in the chapel. Well, just "extreme senals." Everyone has a sign, and you have to pass it around. It's really uniting us, cause we play as a team effort, saving each other, instead of every man for himself. I like it. It's pretty big too. There are- the zone leaders, E P, from Hawaii, and E C, from Brazil, us, the other Hermanas, Hermana T, from Colombia and Hna G, from Uruguay. And then the Elders- E P, who I met in Tandil, and we shared the zone for a transfer from Utah, E R, who was in Olavarria just before I got there, and is super famous and is from Dallas (FYI, from what I know, we're 4 here from Texas: him, me, Elder D, from Corpus Cristi, and an hermana from Tyler, I don't remember her name), E F, from California, and E H, who's super new, straight out of the fabrica. We always laugh a lot, learn a lot, and feel the spirit together. I think it's my favorite zone I've had in my whole mission.
This is my zone from last transfer. It has been my favorite zone of my whole mission. It was the best! From left to right: Top row- Hermana Child, Utach, Hermana Darrington, Idaho, Elder Fallentine, California, an an investigator, I dont remember his name, E Paleka Hawaii. Bottom Row: Elder Caparroz, Brazil, E Riding, Dallas, Texas, E Holmes, Utah, E Price, Utah, Me, Hna Gonzalez, Uruguy, Hna Islas (my compa :)) Mexico, Hna Ashby, South Carolina, and Hna Hurtado, Boliva. 


President came to our district meeting and we had a great talk with him. He knows deep doctrine like no one's buisness. I'm realizing that I really don't know as much as I thought I did, and that I'm not quite the thinker I thought I was. I don't even ask as many questions as I thought I did. I think I'm just a `take it as it is' kind of person. 

Also, in other news... I have been in the mission for a really long time. For like the last year, I've felt like it's been a long time, but now I know. Some signs it's been a long time- 
My shoes are broken. But super broken. We had to fix them with super glue.
People ask me if things were "even out" when I was at home. Usually the answer is no.
Principos de Evangelio is starting over. Every week is deja vu. I remember when I heard this class the first time.
I tell people that I've got 14 months, and everyone looks at me like I have terminal cancer.
Everyone I know is "dead" meaning they've finished the mission.
I think every article of clothing I own has a stain or a hole. Or both.
I have some calluses the size of Mars. And I think some of them have splinters, but I can't find them. And I'm not even worried about it. 
I've got a watch tan line that's visible from the ISS.
People tell me about what they were doing last year at this time, their adventures- and then there's me... I was here.

But it's good. It's been a really great year. And I'm super pridefull of the time I have. I would not have had anywere else where I'd rather have spent it. I wish the mission would never end! Why can't I be Superman and they would let me serve forever.

Well, that's all for this week. I'll see if I can send some pictures.
Love you bunches!!!!!
Hermana Long

No comments:

Post a Comment